A web-based program to improve vocabulary and comprehension for 3rd graders that combines research-based practices with innovative delivery messages.
About the Vocabulators Program
The Vocabulators Program uses engaging technology to extend instructional resources. The program introduces five characters, “The Vocabulators”, who teach, model, and explain important vocabulary and comprehension practices.
The Vocabulators Program is designed to:
- Help students understand the vocabulary often used in comprehension tasks
- Apply comprehension vocabulary in text reading exercises
- Expand instructional capacity and learning opportunities through educational software
The Vocabulators Program was developed by:
- Researchers at Texas A&M and the University of Connecticut
- Morelco Technology
- In consultation with third grade teachers and reading specialists
- All lessons are delivered through a secure website.
- Students log on and progress through lessons with self-guided lessons.
- On average, lessons last 15-20 minutes.
- Lessons resume where students leave off.
- Students complete lessons 3-4 times per week.
- Check-in with students weekly to review progress.
- Monitor student progress through their own dashboard.
- Preview lessons to understand content and procedures.
IVC lessons have been tested in two states and were refined in a pilot study during the fall of 2016.