Select Page

Become a Council Member art

TCDD Seeks Council Members

The Texas Council for Developmental Disabilities (TCDD) is looking for people with developmental disabilities (DD) or family members of people with DD to serve on the Council. This is a great opportunity for you to share your experience and make a difference in the lives of people with disabilities in Texas.

What is TCDD? 

TCDD was created through the DD Assistance and Bill of Rights Act (DD Act) and is one of 56 DD Councils in the United States. Our mission is to create change so that all people with disabilities are fully included in their communities and exercise control over their own lives. To achieve our mission, we invest in innovative projects and engage in advocacy work.

What is a Council Member?

The Council is composed of 27 members and at least 60% of the members are people with DD or family members. The remaining 40% of members include representatives from state agencies that provide DD services and our DD Network Partners. We strive to have a Council that reflects the geographic, ethnic, and cultural diversity of the state of Texas. Council members serve six-year terms and are appointed by the Governor.

What Do Council Members Do?

During quarterly Council Meetings, Council members share their experiences, discuss ways to make life better for people with DD, and make decisions about the work that we do. You are an expert in your own life and you know what works and doesn’t work for people with disabilities in your community. By sharing what you know, you can help shape our projects and advocacy work so we can continue to improve the lives of people with disabilities in Texas.

What is a Council Meeting? 

Every three months, Council members from around the state come together for a meeting. The two-day meetings, which take place in Austin, are held in February, May, August, and November. During the meetings, Council members have an opportunity to:

·                participate in small group discussions about issues,

·                receive briefings about policy issues,

·                talk about new ways to improve the system,

·                attend presentations from TCDD grantees,

·                develop advocacy skills, and

·                network with other members, presenters, and experts.


Logistics and Reimbursements

TCDD staff arrange meals, travel, and lodging for Council members. While Council members serve without a salary, they can be reimbursed for actual expenses for approved activities. Examples of covered expenses include meals, lodging, and travel for the Council members and attendant; and, if applicable, respite care and other direct expenses.

Are You Interested in Learning More?

Are you interested in leaning more about becoming a Council member? Please fill out the short Express Your Interest form. We will follow-up with you to answer your questions and help you determine if being a Council member is right for you. You can learn more about becoming a Council member on our website.