LEAPing Toward Independence & Employment
The LEAP summer program is moving to a VIRTUAL EXPERIENCE due to the Covid-19 pandemic protocols on face to face gatherings. We will only be hosting ONE virtual LEAP experience, which will be held the last two weeks of July. The dates for the LEAP experience are July 20-24, and July 27– August 1. While the event will still be a 10-day experience, we will incorporate a Monday to Friday time frame for both weeks instead of incorporating the weekend days. We feel that it is important to the participants and their families to have the weekends for family time. Applications are currently open with a deadline of June 19 deadline. An agenda for LEAP with more details will be added to the website soon.
Applications for the Summer 2020 sessions are now available.
Dates for LEAP 2020 are July 20-24, 2020 and July 27-August 1, 2020
The Leadership, Employability, and Advocacy Project (LEAP) will select 30 youth, aged 14-22 at each event, from qualified applicants across the State of Texas.
To be selected, applicants must meet the following criteria:
- Be between the ages of 14-22 at the time of the event.
- Entering 8th-12th grade during the 2020-2021 school year. Students in post-secondary programs such as 18+ are also strongly encouraged to apply.
- Must not have graduated/left high school or a district post-secondary program.
Applicants must complete and submit an application and may only attend one LEAP event.
- June 19, 2020
For more information about Project LEAP, contact Dr. Shaunta Singer.
Mentors (STARS) Wanted
Ideal mentors will:
- Seek opportunities to teach students with disabilities
- Have experience working with individuals with disabilities (not a requirement)
- Have work availability up to 10-20 hours per week