Disability Rights Texas is hiring a full time Policy Fellow for the Community Integration / Healthcare Team. This is an entry level position based in our Austin, TX office. It is time limited, funded through the Texas Council for Developmental Disabilities for only two years.
About the Position
This is an entry level position for the Community Redevelopment Project housed in Community Integration/Healthcare team. It will support the improvement in enforcement of federal, state and local fair housing laws and transportation systems compliance with ADA requirements. It will also advocate for those seeking housing or access to reliable, accessible transportation who have experienced discrimination based on disability. The fellow will coordinate and facilitate outreach activities primarily focusing on fair housing, transportation accessibility and accommodations. Further, the position will identify barriers to accessing housing and transportation for individuals with disabilities study and then advance public policy to increase affordable, accessible and integrated housing and transportation opportunities.
- Identify major housing and transportation policy issues impacting people with disabilities
- Participate in testing activities and monitoring visits, conduct interviews and seek resolution to any systemic issues identified.
- collaborate with team members to identify opportunities for policy advocacy and coordinate with other efforts of the organization
- conduct policy research, write policy reports, and provide internal and external training
- monitor and report on legislative and administrative agency actions and provide public testimony
- disseminate comprehensive communications to stakeholders
- actively participate on various workgroups, advisory boards, task forces, and committees
- work with other local, state and national organizations, agencies, legislators, and public officials regarding protecting and advocating the rights of individuals with disabilities
- actively assist with annual grant reports
- A master’s degree in law, social work, public policy or related programs received within the past 24 months – OR – be a parent, self-advocate, or sibling of a person with a disability and have demonstrated post-graduate level skills and knowledge in public policy.
- Not actively or previously employed by Disability Rights Texas.
- Not previously a Fellow through the Texas Council on Developmental Disabilities.
- Ability to develop knowledge of housing and transportation service systems
- Ability to develop knowledge of the state and federal regulatory and legislative processes and thus the ability to inform Texas policymakers about the impact of lack of appropriate fair housing enforcement and access to transportation.
- Strong and effective written, verbal and negotiating communication skills, including the ability to do so in a concise manner regarding complex issues
- Demonstrated experience in public speaking and developing effective informative and persuasive presentations
- Experience working with governmental entities
- Demonstrated functional knowledge of complex state and federal laws, rights protection statutes and regulations.
- Willingness to take direction and independently follow through on instructions timely.
- Exceptional communication and interpersonal relationship skills.
- Strong computer / technology literacy.
- High commitment to service excellence while maintaining high degree of integrity, ethics and judgement.
External applicants should apply at http://careers.drtx.org
About the Team
The Community Integration/Healthcare Team works with individuals with disabilities who choose to live in the community in the least restrictive environment. Their clients are comprised of individuals with disabilities that are leaving institutions as well as those already residing in the community. The CI/Healthcare Team assists persons with accessing or maintaining affordable healthcare services and bringing litigation regarding the ADA-Olmstead Integration Mandate, Medicaid Act claims, and Fair Housing Act.
About Disability Rights Texas
Disability Rights Texas is the federally designated legal protection and advocacy agency (P&A) for people with disabilities in Texas. Our mission is to help people with disabilities understand and exercise their rights under the law, ensuring their full and equal participation in society. Disability Rights Texas is an Equal Opportunity Employer and makes reasonable accommodations for qualified applicants and employees who have a disability. Disability Rights Texas does not accept contacts or resumes from any search firms or staffing agencies, unless previous agreements have been made. All unsolicited resumes will be considered Disability Rights Texas’ property, and Disability Rights Texas will not be obligated to pay a referral fee. This includes resumes submitted directly to hiring managers.